Internet of Things (IoT): A Technical Revolution Sweeping the World
Technical development has increased tremendously within the world, as the world has become more like a small village. This development extends to connecting all technical life systems to the Internet automatically without any human intervention.
Internet of Things is not an application, a website, or a computer program, but a comprehensive idea of integrating a group of devices, networks, and systems. It provides an efficient, accessible, and controllable service.
Internet of Things or IoT.
It is a flexible-integrated system of digital devices, machines, objects, and animals provided with unique identifiers (UDIs). They will transmit data over a network. Internet of things helps them control these devices without the need of a human or to activate computers.
As said by Matthew Evans, the IoT program head at techUK, “Simply, the Internet of Things is made up of devices from simple sensors to smartphones and wearables- connected.”
What do experts see?
Experts predict that by 2020, companies will start transforming their systems into clever IoT systems in business, and they make it. At the end of 2021, companies have based on the Internet of Things in their buildings and businesses. That’s because of IoT great features that are:
- Improve work efficiency.
- Provide unique customer service and understand their needs better.
- Improve decision-making.
- Increase business value.
Internet of Things everywhere, every time..!
We are coming across IoT devices all around us where there are virtual assistants, clever electronics, and trackers. Every IoT device is constantly tracking information in time as the IoT device sends this information to us to make lives safer and more efficient.
During the past years, the Internet of Things has connected more than 10 billion devices and systems. And by 2025, experts expect this number is going to rise to 22 billion.
What makes IoT so important?!!
- Digital systems work in high flexibility and efficiency. They can control them easily due to data accuracy.
- Quick access to the internal systems and product information, and make changes in an easy way.
- The ability to find immediate feedback of device performance, and replace any of them before causing damage without any trouble.
- IoT helps in communication between people, processes, and things.
- IoT shows a great collaboration between the physical and digital worlds together.
What technologies have made the IoT accessible?
During the increasing developments of IoT in the world, there are still systems and technologies that have accompanied this development and helped it to become practical and available to use, including:
- Sensing technology with low-cost and energy
- Cloud systems allow companies to reach infrastructure to develop it without managing it.
- Through a set of Internet protocols, connecting sensors to the cloud and other systems to send data efficiently and accurately.
- Machine learning and various analytics with massive amounts of data stored in the cloud have made IoT accessible.
- Use Artificial intelligence such as Alexa, Cortona, Siri.
Each IoT application is unique and differs from one to another. It depends on the requirements of each business, its expected outcomes, IoT levels, data skills, and technology infrastructure matures. There are five basic requirements to emphasize the successful implementation of the Internet of Things with high quality and low cost.
Essential requirements of every IoT system:
- Advanced computing and analytics: Sensors have to collect data and analyze it in time. It allows a rapid response to any sudden change. Response of an automatic car to a dog rushing towards the car, and knowing a malfunction in a device is an example of sensors efficiency.
- Data Flow Analysis and Processing: Processes must collect data from various devices and sensors and send it immediately for use by cloud-based analytics platforms.
- Device management: Make sure that all devices are registered, managed, secured, and upgraded. Warning staff and systems if there is any failure in the machine.
- Cold path and advanced analysis: With cold path processing, advanced algorithms have analyzed large amounts of data after storing data on the cloud program. This in-depth analysis can show trends or corrective actions needed to improve the business or customer experience.
- Enterprise integration with business systems.
Integrates with business applications and enterprise systems allow sharing and processing row data. Furthermore, it can deliver IoT device vision to enterprise systems and receive obvious and referenced meta-data. Moreover, IoT improves efficiency, reduces costs, increases sales and customer satisfaction, and gives the ability to create and lead new markets.
Most popular smart IoT applications:
- Smart Watch
The smartwatch is the most popular and widespread device because it’s easy to wear and handle. Also, similar devices are working on IoT systems, such as fitness and activity trackers and heart rate monitors.
The smart home has always been a dream of technology lovers, but now it has become a reality. There are updated versions of almost all home appliances, such as washing machines, refrigerators, wardrobe mirrors, and many more. Even that can be connected and controlled through a single point of connection by artificial intelligence.
- Energy-saving and Smart Grid:
From industrial power plants to public residential compounds, this technology has helped them in installing smart electricity meters with sensors built into IoT-based systems. It can check and control electricity flow effectively. Moreover, improve maintenance and repairing by detecting faults faster and more accurately.
- Smart Buildings
Connecting IoT applications to the entire life cycle of the building. It aims to increase productivity and efficiency while reducing operational costs, including:
- Electronic building access control with tracking entry and exit of people.
- Sensors connected to electrical and water supply systems to track usage and potential malfunctions
- Automation and controlling of various devices, such as HVAC, smoke alarms, elevators, etc.
We use these systems in both residential and commercial properties, such as shopping centers or large buildings.
- Smart Farm
We have never thought that we could connect all of our agricultural works to an advanced technology system. That would save a lot of time, effort, and money. However, farmers are using these technologies to reach unprecedented data. They can now detect different soil properties through sensors, such as moisture levels, acidity, and nutrient presence. ِAlso, this technique is becoming popular to help farmers find which crops are best for soil. Then, farmers can benefit from other IoT devices. Including crop tracking and management, farms monitoring, and even livestock monitoring. Then, the precision farming system and the concept of smart farms have existed. In addition, there are many intelligent applications in cars, stores, and health clinics.
The Internet of Things is the success roadmap of every organization or company that aspires to lead the market. Every organization must carefully assess its needs and plan its roadmap to deliver flexible, secure, and scalable IoT services.